Carrying Her Heart

I am dedicating this site to my beloved daughter Rachel whose earthly life ended on Sept. 17,2009.This is just a glimpse of the path I walk through this journey of grief.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Precious Memories

I spent all day yesterday taking Christmas down. I don't know what is harder for me, putting it all up or putting it away. I still have so many of the same decorations that Rachel grew up loving, and hating. I have these little elves that my mother always put out when I was growing up.They creeped Rachel out.She couldn't stand them. I loved to pick at her about them..As I put them in the tree , I could see her rolling her eyes. As I took them down, I had tears in mine. I always do what I call a "kiddie tree". It is full of ornaments that all my kids made. There is even an ornament from when I was in school back in 1972, and a bell my husband made when he was little. I have a tree full of ceramic painted ornaments.Over the years, all of the kids have sat at my kitchen table and painted these for me.These are the ones that Rachel painted over the years.





Some are at least 8 years old. I have always been very careful with them when packing them away, but now even more so. It was so hard this year when it came time to put Rachels ornaments on the tree. No one gets to touch them but me. Her name is on the back of the ones she painted. These fifty cent ornaments that shine like gold to me. I can see her sitting at my kitchen table with the little girls painting like she was doing a masterpiece. I hated wrapping them up and putting them away. I know I can get them out and look at them , its just is one of those things that is hard to do. You find yourself wanting and needing to surround yourself with any little part of who you are missing. I hope you had many great moments with your family this Christmas. I also hope that after reading this post, you find a deeper meaning in some things that maybe you overlooked.

What I wanted most for my daughter was that she be able to soar confidently in her own sky, whatever that may be.
-- Helen Claes

No comments:

Post a Comment