Carrying Her Heart

I am dedicating this site to my beloved daughter Rachel whose earthly life ended on Sept. 17,2009.This is just a glimpse of the path I walk through this journey of grief.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Light up that fire

Early Friday we grabbed a few groceries, loaded up, and headed to our favorite spot on the lake....My sister n laws lake house. There were not many people to be found, which worked out good for me because that is what I was trying to get away from...people... We went to the spillway and fished.We ate lots of junk food. My husband and the girls built a fire and danced and played.





It was so quiet , and so perfect. Not too cold.Everything was just right. As I fished, I watched the girls playing and I realized how happy everyone seemed. It didn't feel forced. We were just there. I of course had many thoughts of Rachel . How could I not. She was usually with us at the lake. She grew up going to the lake. But this time it felt different. Friday night as we were heading back to the camp after fishing, I could see the sky beginning to change. We pulled into a park so I could try to take a photo .





It was beautiful.Being able to see the colors reflecting in the water makes it twice as lovely. This photo really doesn't capture the true beauty of what I saw, but I can look at the picture and I will remember its majesty. That is something I have gotten really good at over this past year... Looking at pictures...and remembering. Sometimes I get so caught up in the moment, being able to BE in the moment, and I forget to take a picture. This weekend was one of those times. I just wanted to watch the girls play. Watch them laugh. Laugh with them without having to force myself to, or feel guilty for doing it. We are so far from being "back to normal". That will probably never be for us.But we are slowy putting the pieces of our life back together.
As we sat around the fire this Patty Griffin song was playing very loudly in my mind.
I have listened to it many times . I even have played it on a guitar and sang it with my sister...but that night..I heard it ..


"Crying Over"

Light it up, baby, light up that fire
I don't know what's gonna save me from the cold now
And these sorrows I'm crying over
And these sorrows I'm crying over

Embrace me, embrace me with your kind love
It's all I've ever wanted, all I've ever dreamed of
And all of this dreaming of silver and gold
Is something to break this winter so cold
And these sorrows I'm crying over
And these sorrows I'm crying over

We go straight for the thunder, straight for the rain
Love leaves a mark and love leaves a strain
Back in the saddle again and again
Millions of eyes and none of them friends

You better light it up, baby, you better light up that fire
Cause I don't know what's gonna save me from the cold now
From these sorrows I'm crying over
From these sorrows I'm crying over
From these sorrows I'm crying over
Crying over

I didn't make this video. It is the only of of her singing the song I could find.Reading the words, and then hearing Patty sing them...it makes a huge difference

No comments:

Post a Comment